November 19th is fast approaching and, as you can imagine, we are working hard on all the details. Plane tickets have been donated and purchased, lodging has been reserved and our kids are getting prepared for a long stay with grandparents.
This first trip to Kenya is largely a scouting and fact finding trip which is why we are going alone. In the future we plan to have many opportunities for team trips where you can be involved and travel with us.
As for today, there ways you can help us get this idea launched.
Thanks to some generous friends, Skymiles were donated to cover our plane tickets to Kenya. This has significantly reduced the cost of our trip. We need approximately $2,000 to cover the remainder of our trip. This includes lodging, in country flights, vaccinations and other travel costs. You can help us financially by making a donation through Christian Church Buckhead. More details are on the Get Involved page.
We need a group of people that will commit to prayer with us during the trip. Please email us or leave a comment on the blog so we know who’s praying for us. Some specific requests we have:
- Our kids. We’ve never been apart for this long. It will be hard on all of us.
- Safe travel.
- Relationship building with the missionaries and people we will be meeting.
- Next steps as we build a network of people willing to partner with us on this endeavor.
DONATIONS FOR THE MISSIONARIES
We want to arrive in Kenya bearing gifts. Here is a wish list of items we have received from the missionaries we will be visiting.
- Used, working, laptop PC’s circa 2005 or later people may have replaced or are no longer using.
- Used, working, digital cameras people may have replaced or are no longer using.
- HP Ink Cartridges 130, 135 for the HP5900 series printer and HP Cartridge 12A for the HP 1020.
- A digital projector that connects to a laptop for presentations, training, video viewing, etc.
- Colored pencils
- Pupils and teachers manuals for Sunday school lessons
- Flannel graph for Bible stories and large pieces of flannel
- Puzzles – both picture and word
- Flash cards
- Alphabet letters (printing and script) for display in the classrooms
- Pencil Sharpeners
- Safety scissors
- Construction paper
- Any educational and/or spiritual wall posters
- Bible study guides for small groups
We are also looking for some Christmas stocking stuffers for one missionary’s child (a 10 year old boy) and some gifts for the missionaries themselves.
The most humbling part of this adventure is the knowledge that we cannot do it alone. It’s tempting to think Adam and I can take care of everything ourselves since it’s easier when you don’t have to be accountable to anyone. But that is a foolish thought, because we want this to go beyond anything we could ever do by ourselves. The credit will not be ours but will fall to everyone who has helped make this possible. So thank you in advance for your prayers and your generosity. We will do everything we can to honor your gifts.